Celebrating Apollo 11
The always terrific kottke.org has come up with a fitting tribute to the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission…
Inspired by the ApolloPlus40 Twitter account and We Choose the Moon, both of which are tracking the Apollo 11 mission as it happened 40 years ago, I’ve built a page where you can watch the CBS News coverage of Walter Cronkite reporting on the Moon landing and the first moon walk, 40 years to the second after it originally happened.
Here’s the one-time-only schedule (all times local/CDT)…
- Moon landing broadcast start: 3:10:30 pm on July 20
- Moon landing shown: 3:17:40 pm
- Moon landing broadcast end: 3:20:15 pm
- Moon walk broadcast start: 9:51:27 pm
- First step on Moon: 9:56:15 pm
- Nixon speaks to the Eagle crew: approx 10:51:30 pm
- Moon walk broadcast end: 11:00:30 pm
Of course, a celebration of anything this huge wouldn’t be complete without including the unique perspective of The Onion. (NSFW)
Subscribe to the RSS feed and have all new posts delivered straight to you.